OUTLINE OF REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PROCESSING OF MARRIAGE LICENSE IN ACCORDANCE WITH ACT NO. 30 OF 2007
A minister of religion who desires to act as a marriage officer shall satisfy the Governor General that he:
- Is ordained or licensed as a minister of religion or is recognized by the religious denomination to which he belongs, as being authorized to solemnize marriage according to the rites and usages of that religious denomination.
- Is of good character.
- Is at least 21 years of age.
- Does not have a criminal record.
- Is recommended by the head of the religious denomination to which he belongs.
A minster of religion recommended to act as a marriage officer in accordance with subsection (1) shall satisfy one or more of the following qualifications:
- Hold a degree in theology; or related field.
- Possess at least a secondary education.
- Be a senior minister or a member of his church for not less than ten years.
- An application should be made through the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry with responsibility for Ecclesiastical Affairs, currently the Ministry of Education, National Reconciliation, Ecclesiastical Affairs and Information .
- An interview/background check is conducted by the office of the Commissioner of Police.
- An interview is carried out by the Registrar of High Court on the Marriage Act (CAP) 173 of the Laws of St.Vincent and the Grenadines Revised Edition 1990.
- A submission is made to Cabinet on behalf of the applicant.
- Once approval is granted by Cabinet the applicant will be informed by letter through the ministry.
- A notice to the effect would be published in the Government’s Gazette.