The Ministry of Education and National Reconciliation of the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Cuba have signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) to increase the quality of education in both countries through enhanced cooperation.
The LOI sets forth terms upon which both parties intend to work in the areas of Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Primary Education and Secondary Education.
The parties will promote, facilitate, and encourage the development of direct contacts among institutions for academic research and stakeholder associations, and may work together on the following:
- The promotion of educational and academic exchanges among individuals, organizations and institutions of education in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Cuba;
- The promotion of professional expertise-sharing in Special Needs Education (Inclusive Education) between Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Cuba;
- The coordination with organizations in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Cuba to support educational seminars, workshops and conferences;
The LOI was signed in Havana, Cuba, on Friday, 3rd February, 2023 by Minister of Education and National Reconciliation of the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Hon. Curtis King, and the Minister of Education of the Republic of Cuba, Hon. Dr. Ena Velazquez Cobiella. The agreement will remain effective for a period of three years and will be automatically renewed on the date of its expiration. There will be provisions for amendments with the written consent of both parties.
Minister King signed the LOI while attending a conference of Ministers of Education of the G-77 + China in Havana, Cuba. The Ministers discussed the current challenges in education in the context of recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and initiated common strategies for intensifying commitment and action towards meeting Sustainable Development Goal No. 4. One of the major highlights of the meeting was deliberation on a Declaration on Education.
Audio Links :
- Background of the Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Information on the G-77+China Grouping & the Declaration on Education